Brown Rice Salad
- 1 cup brown & wild rice (with lentils)
- 1 can chick peas (drained and rinsed) or fresh sprouted chickpeas
- 1 can sweet corn (not creamed) or 1 ear of fresh corn cut off the cob.
- 1 cup chopped celery (use tops/leaves as well)
- Half a diced red or yellow pepper
- 1 chopped medjool date – large date (sulphur dioxide free)
- Himalayan rock salt
- Grinding of black pepper
When rice is cooked – let it cool down and add all other ingredients. Toss and add dressing Let it stand to reach room temperature (can be made night before) Serve – either with a green salad as main meal or as a side dish.
Dressing: (It’s all in the dressing! :) )
- 1/3 cup EV Olive Oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Drizzle of honey or agave nectar
- Dash of Bragg’s Liquid Aminos – This is like a soya sauce but healthier as it doesn’t have as much added salt and is high in Amino acids and is gluten free. You can also use Tamari instead of soya or Bragg’s
Shake it up – taste if the balance is correct and pour over salad and enjoy.
Variations for salad:
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can cannellini or borlotti beans
- Add some chopped fresh coriander (dhania)
High in fibre
Wholefood – no preservatives
Can be a main meal (with green salad) or side-dish
Ideally to be eaten with a portion of fresh or steamed vegetables or a green salad with avo for proper food combining
Cabbage, Chickpea & Avo Salad
- ½ Cabbage – can use small white and small red cabbage for colour
- 3 large kale leaves
- 3 large spinach leaves
- ½ tsp Pink Himalayan rock salt
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- Cherry tomatoes – either fresh or sun-dried
- 1 Avo cubed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a fresh lemon
- 1 TBS Braggs Liquid Amino’s
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp grained mustard
Finely slice cabbage.
Remove kale and spinach leaves from stalks, rinse well and roll into cigars and finely slice (Chiffonade).
Add all leaves to a mixing bowl. Cover with ½ pink salt and juice from ½ lemon. Massage the leaves until they look “wilted” – this breaks down the fibres.
Add the rest of the ingredients and toss gently so as not to break up the avo too badly.
Add all the ingredients for the dressing into an air-tight container and shake well.
Pour over salad.
Adjust salt / pepper.